Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jane Eyre: Check!

My first finished book of the new year!

Unfortunately Jane Eyre didn't finish before the end of 2010 but it was the first of 2011. Overall, I liked it alright...it wasn't the best I've ever read but definitely not the worst.

I liked Jane's strength even though she did not have a particular reason to be strong except her character. She was a poor orphan with no relations and could have easily given up, but didn't. Go Jane!!

So, I'm going to take Jane's conviction here and apply it to 2011. No longer will I be defeated in relation to the job search, money, housing, school, etc. In the new year, I'm taking the Jane Eyre approach!

Speaking of the new year, Here's the updated list of books I've read:

Prior to 2010: 14 Books
*Harry Potter Series
*To Kill A Mockingbird
*The Bible
*Wuthering Heights
*Shakespeare
*Anna Karenina
*Winnie the Pooh
*The Da Vinci Code
*Anne of Green Gables
*Of Mice and Men
*The Inferno
*Watership Down
*Hamlet
*Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

2010: 9 Books
*The Hobbit
*Gone with the Wind
*The Great Gatsby
*Alice in Wonderland
*Animal Farm
*Life of Pi
*The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night
*A Christmas Carol
*Charlotte's Web

2011: Obviously at least 1 so far. Others I have available (aka waiting patiently on the bookshelf) include:
*Lord of the Rings (the rest of the series)
*1984
*Catcher in the Rye
*The Time Traveler's Wife
*Middlemarch
*(War and Peace: I have this waiting but I've decided this is going to be the LAST one I read in order to go out with a bang!)
*Chronicles of Narnia
*The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe
*The Lovely Bones
*Midnight's Children
*Oliver Twist (this one's at the library but I need to finish it I believe)
*The Secret Garden
*The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

So this year's goal is 12 books, which is 3 more than 2010. However, considering that I started in March, and took a month to read Gone With The Wind, as well as a month plus some hiatus time to read Fellowship of the Ring, I think this is definitely do-able. While my course load this spring may not be conducive to pleasure reading, I think I can make up for it in the summer, over breaks, and during the fall when there will be considerably less going on.

This is a difficult decision, but I think the next book I read will be The Catcher in the Rye, as well as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which is supposedly good...we'll have to see. In closing, I have high hopes for 2011 in many respects, including this project. Happy 2011 everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment