Saturday, December 4, 2010

Oliver: 24.5%

SO CLOSE to being 1/4 done!

Surprisingly, this book is actually getting BETTER! Maybe the reason that I hate Dickens is because I never got far enough into the books to start enjoying it. I'll openly admit that if I were assigned Oliver Twist for school (one of the few of Dickens that I was not) I would have stopped about 30 pages in when Oliver was at the funeral parlor. (Then I probably would have watched the movie and selected very specific passages to talk about in class so it would look like I knew what I was talking about...that is the way I survived English class). Regardless, Oliver Twist is getting exciting.

Currently, Oliver has just been found by Nancy on his way to deliver some books for the wealthy man. I'm pretty sure he's going to be taken back to Fagin even though he probably wants to stay with the man and find out whose picture was hanging above his bed. This guy is probably his grandfather. I think that is how Dickens works.

In the movie Bill Sikes is way creepier. Maybe I just have not yet discovered his creepiness. We'll see. I'm not a huge fan of shady characters, and am usually not too concerned when people are not shady, but I've seen Oliver! the musical several times and I'm pretty sure Sikes is a bad guy, and that he's made bad by more than just being friends with Fagin, who encourages stealing. We'll see. I still have 75% of the book to go....this is gong to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment